This year, more than 13,000 people nationwide took part in Best Friends Animal Society’s Strut Your Mutt. Together, these two- and four-legged walkers earned nearly $1.7 million, including almost $1.2 million for our participating Network partners, helping to save the lives of pets in shelters all across the country.
In addition to Austin, Baltimore/Washington DC, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, New York, Portland, Salt Lake City, and St. Louis, three new locations hosted Strut Your Mutt live events this year: Best Friends’ Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, UT, Houston and San Francisco. Network partners outside of these live cities, no matter where they are located, also participated to raise funds for their organization through virtual Strut Across America.
Incentives for participating partners!
We like to reward our Network partners for working so hard on Strut Your Mutt fundraising, so each year we offer various incentives throughout the months leading up to Strut Your Mutt. In 2013 incentives included:
- An early-bird prize of $1,000 awarded to one partner in each event (that’s a total of $12,000!) who recruited the most walkers for their team between May 1-19.
- Any participating organization who got at least 10 members of their dog pack to raise $100 each by August 1 was put into a drawing, and we gave away $500 to 10 of these qualifying groups!
- The top fundraising group for each live event was awarded a free booth space and a one-month subscription to BarkBox!
- Numerous other prizes, including: a free No More Homeless Pets Conference registration, lifetime subscription to BarkBox, spotlights for your animals on the Strut Your Mutt pages, and so much more!
What did the Network partners who participated in Strut Your Mutt have to say about their experience?
"Strut Your Mutt is a wonderful opportunity for like minded people to come together to support the No Kill movement and raise funds for their organization's mission.The life saving work of Shadow Cats will continue stronger and with more impact because of our involvement with SYM. Saving lives, forming a strong network of animal advocates and building toward a stronger future- why wouldn't anyone participate!" Shadow Cats-Austin, TX
"Strut Your Mutt is turning into one of our most successful yearly fundraisers. Best Friends makes it so easy to participate by providing all of the tools necessary at no cost - website and Facebook banners, postcards, flyers, online donor websites for participants, and so much more. Plus, the media exposure along with Best Friend's reputation is priceless. A small group like ours would have a difficult time organizing an event like this on our own." The Old Dog House-Jacksonville, FL
Why strut with us?
- Your organization can raise money at a proven event organized by Best Friends Animal Society. You receive on-site recognition with an audience of thousands of participants at Strut; a great way to increase the awareness of the work you are doing with your community!
- Best Friends will provide partners with fundraising tools and resources to help organizations promote their involvement and recruit supporters.
- Partners will be included in Best Friends' nationwide publicity and event promotions.
How does Strut Your Mutt work?
- Each participating partner will create one Dog Pack (team) with a Team Captain.
- Each organization will create a Team page on the Strut Your Mutt site. Instructions will be supplied after your application has been approved.
- Each Dog Pack in the cities with live walks will recruit walkers and each walker will then contact friends and family to recruit donations via their personal fundraising page.
- Strut Across America is online fundraising only, so that all Network Partners can participate to raise money, no matter where they are located.
- The money each Network partner's Dog Pack team raises through Strut Your Mutt will come directly back to that organization.*
Start stretching...and watch our 2012 event video here.
2013 Participation requirements- Be sure to click here and review the requirements.
Are you a local rescue or shelter and have questions about this event?
One community, one strut at a time, brings us closer to No More Homeless Pets®!
Together, we can Save Them All™.
* Less transaction fees. Some conditions apply. See full participation agreement for details.